Thursday, October 3, 2013

spoolie swap

   Sandy and Deb Co-hosted a Fall/Halloween spoolie swap, so I HAD to join. I was paired with Laura from Vintage Bettys. She does some pretty great things with paperclay.
 
  
   Laura sent me the sweetest fall spoolie and vintage looking straw pumpkin (awesome!!). It sits in the perfect spot to be admired by all. She also sent chocolate (gone) in the little candy boxes I like to reuse, a pumpkin cookie cutter, camping stickers which went straight into my Girl Scout scrapbook, and other scrapbooking bits and pieces. Fun, fun, fun...
 
   The first thing I saw when I went to Laura's blog was that she likes Cath Kidston, which has become a new obsession for me since my trip abroad this past summer. I knew what one of her tuck-in's had to be. It was this great, wonderful, personal idea... then I forgot to take a picture of it, but luckily for me she did!
 
image borrowed from vintage betty's
 
   First I gently removed pulled the chimney and scallop edging off the chipboard birdhouse. I went on line, did an image search for Cath Kidston fabric and printed a few of the better images. Cut the paper to fit the sides and using tacky glue adhered it to the birdhouse. Each side of the birdhouse has a different pattern. Reattach the chimney and scallop edging and Viola! a Cath Kidston inspired birdhouse. It's not fall but I was hoping she liked it anyway. Oh, I super glued a key ring to the opening to cover the not so pretty papered edge.  
 
 
I was playing around with picmonkey
 
   For Halloween Laura likes cute and cats. Sweet!! I can do cute and cats shouldn't be too hard... well lets just say it's head looked like an owl. So I scrapped,chucked,destroyed the cat (sorry kitty) 
and went with the owl. 
  My original idea was the owl sitting on a big trunk (the spindle set horizontally) and sticks poking out of the openings as small branches,but I just wasn't get a tree feeling until... a giant light bulb went off , DUH! set the spindle vertically and there is a tree. After that the rest was easy.
 
 
 
TTFN,
Chris =]
   

6 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed seeing everyone's interpretations on their spoolies. You both did a wonderful job. Each of you are so talented. So much detail went into each of your spoolies. Well done. Next week, I'm hoping to share mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the spoolies Chris! I am bad bad bad!! mine is only going into the mail today! Ive been SOOO busy! have a great weekend
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! It was a treat seeing all of the different ways people used the spools...thanks everyone who joined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo!!! Love the spoolie you got! And love the spoolie you made! Owls are all the rage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving these owl spoolies! Everyone is so creative!
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was like "what's a spoolie?" now, I WANT ONE TOO! Oh Chris, your owl spoolie is amazing!

    ReplyDelete