Saturday, May 4, 2013

birds and nests

   I participated in a swap over at Viv's, The theme was nests, I had an idea - while it does have birds it didn't have a nest. I know, I know...

   I was paired up with Margie. Margie doesn't have a blog but she does have a website Eras Minidoodles, She breeds iDoodles which are a cross between toy poodles and havana silk dogs. They are the cutest, fluffiest most adorable little puppies. They make your heart melt. No sweet puppy, no puppy...

   Back to the crafts...

    I had some empty ribbon spools and wanted to do something different than use them as a base. I ripped off one of the labels and realized the the core was really sturdy, that was enough to start the little wheels in my brain spinning.
  
 
  This is one of those ideas that I knew exactly what I wanted it to look like. The whole thing was Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey.
 
The hardest part was cutting the inner and outer circles because I wanted the paper design to line up. I used my Creative Memory circle cutter templates to figure out how big the smaller circle needed to be then went up two sizes and cut the bigger circle. To make sure the smaller circle was cut perfectly in the center of the bigger circle I cut a template from scrap paper and traced it on the back of the bigger circle, then lined my small circle cutter up to the traced circle and cut it out.
It took longer to explain that it did to do it.

 The branches and leaves are cut free form from scrapbook paper, the bird and flowers are stickers. You can't tell from the photo, but the branches are layered. A little dab of hot glue on the rim at different depths hold the branches off  the background. The branch holding the bird is glued across the front of the rim underneath the large circle.

  For the hanger I wrapped ribbon around the spool, tied it in a knot at the top of the spool then tied a second knot at the end of the ribbon. I hot glued a bow over the knot at the top of the spool.  Add some ruffled crepe paper to the back to create a medallion and viola - done!



  The garland is pretty easy to figure out. The birds are felt and the fabric balls are styrofoam covered in fabric strips.

What to see the nest Margie made for me????


  Isn't it great? I love all the natural elements and netural colors in it, from the grapevine ball to the spanish moss (which grows all over here) to the brown satin ribbon. All the way down to three tiny eggs resting inside the nest. Thank You Margie!!
  


I want to say Thank You =] to Kim and Josie for picking me to be the recipient of her spring nest giveaway. It's so colorful and happy! She also sent a vintage apron. I have the tag pinned up at work so I can see it every day as a reminder to make the most of my day.   (Sorry about the photo sizes) 












         Dont'cha just love those little faces with their party hats on?!


TTFN,
Chris =]






9 comments:

  1. Brilliant use of the ribbon spool. I'm addicted to making miniature shadow boxes. I can see all kinds of things happening now from this idea. Darling garland too. A beautiful nest from Margie. Such a fun swap.

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm having fun with mini shadow boxes too.

      Delete
  2. using the ribbon spool like that was such a good idea chris. I'm glad you and your partner had fun with this swap! I had a blast with the whole bird and nest theme for the last month. now.. its on to those bear orders that I've been putting off far too long!
    have a great sunday!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. All wonderful Bird crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love the garland too, Chris! And the one you received, really neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your nests and the garland. Wasn't it a fun swap. I posted what I made for my swap partner. I will be posting in my next post what she sent me. We are all so different in what we made. Loved this swap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky Duck! You got a cute nest, you made a really pretty and creative bird mini diorama, and won the giveaway - hooray for you! :)

    ReplyDelete